Monday, November 2, 2009

Happiness is not a fish that you can catch.

It's the line to one of my favorite songs. And I think it's pretty spot-on. But beyond the fact that happiness isn't really about luck, what does it really mean? Is there a singular definition or do we create it based on our life experiences, wants and needs?

If someone walked up to me today asking if I'm happy, I'm sure I'd say yes, although to what degree, I'm unsure. Looking in from the outside, I have all I could ever want or need. I have a terrific family...a boy and a girl and a husband. I have a nice little house in a nice little town. I have a terrific job that I actually have a college degree in. And I'm about 10 pounds shy of where I was the day I graduated from high school.

But am I beside myself with happiness-doubtful. Maybe it's the pessimist in all of us or the urge to achieve more, own more and 'be' more. For some reason I'm not really satisfied.

So what would make me truly happy? Beats me. Can you love something or someone even more? Probably. But you won't find out unless you try. And that seems to be where I'm at a crossroads with myself. Logically I should be happy and not mess with the perfect little balance I work so hard to maintain. But the adventurous, you-only-getta-experience-life-once side of me wants to venture out and push for more.

On the endless quest for happiness, are we wiser to be thankful for what we have an not risk losing a certain level of happiness, and just enjoy the ride...or should we go out on a limb for that chance to experience a level of happiness we haven't yet felt?

On second thought, it seems like it really is a fish to me...

2 comments:

  1. If it is a fish, I need to find me a humpback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the quote "Life is a journey, not a destination." I truly believe that happiness is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it.

    ReplyDelete