Wednesday, July 22, 2009

'til Death

My husband and I have been planning our 5-year anniversary, which is really our honeymoon considering we bought a house instead of going somewhere exotic five years ago. And I do think about this trip every day. I'm excited about getting away. I'm looking forward to the quiet. And I'm scared about spending seven days alone with my husband.

You see, we haven't had a date night in ages. We don't always have a million things to talk about (except for the kids), and I'm not even sure we really understand one another all that well anymore. So my expectations are for us to spend the first few days unwinding and the remaining few days really enjoying being ourselves-stress free.

But what gets me even more as we approach the five-year mark, is how much I still love him. Looking back, I know I was a crazy fool to get married after dating for just six months. I know we rushed into it. I know we didn't necessarily know each other or share the same dreams. And I knew that I had a habit of falling out of love, or at least interest, very easily and very quickly.

And yet here we are, and I still get excited about running into him during the day. I love getting little calls about nothing...secretly hoping he just wanted to hear my voice. I love those moments he touches me on accident and my skin tingles, and he doesn't even know it. And I adore laughing with him...for no reason or for something our children did.

A few years ago my mom explained to me that as we get older in our relationships, the love evolves. So while you may believe you love that person more, more than likely, it's just that what you feel has evolved. Your appreciation has grown. You've matured together and have helped shape who the other has become. At the time I didn't understand, and I'm sure I still don't completely, but I do feel or love has changed...has matured. And has become something I hope never fades. For all his faults and my own, it's a beautiful relationship, and I truly believe I'm a better person for knowing him.

2 comments:

  1. Why do we always fail to see what's right in front of us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to think we just know when it's right. 6 months...yeah...that is a short amount of time. I'm doing the same thing right now. Moving in with a guy that I've known for 6 months...it just seems crazy to me. But there's something about our relationship that feels so right. You and Corey give me hope that my relationship with Jon, as short-lived as it has been, will evolve like yours has with Corey. And I have to say, I always thought your relationship with Corey was a good one. Laughing and joking...you guys always seem to have it together. :-)

    ReplyDelete