Thursday, July 16, 2009

Getting Comfortable In My 'New' Skin

Driving home from work today I felt something I don't really remember feeling before. My day wasn't overly special, in fact, I felt as though I had failed a little at my job today...but when I picked up my kids and my son's Toddler Gram said that he had gone potty like a big boy all day. That he was still wearing the same training pants he had on that morning when I dropped him off, I was beyond proud. I was thrilled. I was happy. I honestly believe I felt glee.

I've never considered myself a real soccer mom. I don't shop at mom stores. I don't base who I am on my children. But today was a little different. My son had accomplished something I was beginning to think was impossible. And he did it without someone telling him to.

And after I let him have ice cream before dinner to celebrate, I sat and watch him. I witnessed my son grow. I saw him take one more step away from being a toddler and a huge leap toward being a young boy. And it was really beautiful.

And I felt glee for the first time in my life. And it was amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment