Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Is it possible to feel too much guilt?

I've always felt a certain level of guilt throughout my life. When I was a kid, I felt a little bad that my oldest sister had to make the mud pies for my dolls and I...she didn't want to be a mom. I felt guilty every time my parents faught. Surely they would have nothing to argue about if it wasn't for their kids screwing up, right? After I was convicted of DUI, I felt guilty for being so stupid...or maybe for being caught. Because the million times I had done it before that, I don't remember feeling all that guilty.

Until the last few years, I have dealt with my guilt. It was always there, but tucked away and virtually forgotten until something else to feel guilty about came around. Now, I feel guilty for a million things. They haunt my dreams at night, and clutter my mind all day. Worst of all, they're constant...

I feel endless guilt because:
1. I'm married and no longer want come and go without checking in on my husband
2. I have kids and want to be with them every chance I get
3. I have a full-time job that I love but yet feel like I'm missing out on some of the best days with my kids
4. I don't live minutes away from my parents or in-laws...makes it hard for grandparents to come watch their grandchildren play sports, be in plays, etc.
5. I fantasize about living in a 'big' city and living my original dream
6. I daydream about walking away from my career and seeing what else is out there
7. I can't give my kids the hottest toys, electronics...
8. I can't financially support my husband so he can chase his dreams
9. I didn't move to Portland with Wendy after I graduated from college
10. I can't open up to my dad...about all I want for him and all I wish he would have done for me

People around me say I should let it go and move on. You know, the "Life's too short" mentality. Or there are the mom blogs that say you should find balance...is that even possible? All I know is that this could be my biggest hurdle as I close in on 30 and work toward letting go and moving on a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment