Monday, April 26, 2010

What's your brand?

I've been in advertising for awhile now. And I think I have a pretty good handle on what branding is and isn't. I've also been hearing and reading a lot about personal branding. That maybe we should each examine ourselves as a brand. But then there are those who believe there should be separation between who you are as a professional vs. who you are as an individual. I have to admit, I've been on the fence.

As a writer...advertising or not...I believe that bits and pieces of me are brought out in my writing. I think what we write and how we write it says a lot about who we are, period. And I'm beginning to cherish that. I have a friend who has told me time and again that it doesn't really matter if you're wrong, just believe and do something all the way and stick to your guns. Because it's so much better to have a stance than to not have one at all.

Phase I for me and branding myself is in the works. I will be launching a website for myself that brings my personal and professional life together. Because I'm just about as passionate about what I do from 8-5 as I am for life during the other hours of each day. My profession is also very personal to me. So I'm going to let it all hang out...love me or hate me for it...or just ignore it. It's your choice but my hope is that it'll help me open the door to those goals I've been reluctant to pursue.

Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment