Monday, October 26, 2009

A refresher course in friendship

This past weekend, I met up with my sisters and a friend to partake in an old tradition, tailgating for our local football team. Seven years ago, this was an every weekend event from September through mid-November. This year, it'll probably be the only one...(my how times change).

As my girls and I made our way to a local establishment to watch the game, we ran into an old friend of mine. More specifically, my college roommate from the dorms. We had remained in touch on and off over the years, however, she and her husband moved to the Twin Cities a year or so ago, making it harder to keep up on day to day life.

We immediately hugged and did the traditional girly squeals before she headed off to actually attend the game. After promising to meet up afterwards, we went our separate ways. Several drinks and a depressing loss later, my girls and I wound up at another traditional football Saturday site--an outdoor venue with a rockin' band. It was great and my roommate joined us. It was one of those rare occasions where you just pick up where you left off. No excuses or false promises. Just chatting about our lives today without spending time trying to recount old times just to make conversation. It was natural and easy and I truly appreciated every moment of it.

Our night ended and I haven't spoken to her yet, although I feel confident that the next time our paths cross, it will be the same. She's one of those rare friends we make that never judge. Never expect anything from you. And are just glad you can have fun and be there for one another when it's most important. These days we need people like that to remind us that true friendship still exists and can live through all the different phases of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment