Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Parental Selfishness, Part II

My daughter will be a year old on Tuesday and so the question of whether or not we're having more kids has started creeping into conversations.

When I was pregnant with Cali, my husband insisted that this was it. He's getting old. We don't have any free time. We have no disposable income. The list went on. But at that time, I was enjoying being pregnant...being grateful to experience what only a few humans on Earth are able to do. I wholeheartedly believe that giving birth to another person...who is the perfect mix of you and your partner...is the single most amazing thing in the world. And I just wasn't ready to say that I was okay with never feeling that again.

A year later, 65 pounds of baby fat gone (wishing to get rid of 10 more) and I'm more torn than ever. But does that make me selfish? I know several women who wish they could have kids as easily and Corey and I did. I know even more who have gone through test after test and drugs and shots and all kinds of unnatural things just for a chance at being a parent. And here I am just worried that if I have another kid it'll take even longer to lose the weight. And I'll definitely have to cut back on shopping then. Forget about extra free time. Extra sleep. Maybe even a date night. But again, am I just selfish for worrying about me and my wants instead of taking one for the team? For taking the opportunity because other's can't?

Especially considering that now my husband thinks he might want another one...if only he would have been on this team a year ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment