Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Is it better to be different or average?

I've been thinking a lot lately about how where we come from and how our parents and the people that surround us influence who we become as adults. And how certain events in our lives help shape decisions we make. What I began to realize is how uninteresting my past is.

Nothing overly traumatic has happened to me. Sure, I was sexually harrassed in high school and now realize that I should have handled the whole thing differently. I just wasn't very strong then. And yeah, I was always too intimidated by my father to really talk to him and get to know him as a person and not just my father. Don't forget the DUI. Now that event is still very vivid and I do feel that the way I view my family and my former friends is a reflection of that situation. Even when I say how lonely it can be to be a mother, nothing is as lonely as being alone without a car, without a friend, and three jobs. I take full responsibility for my actions but where was everybody? Seriously, it's like everyone that should have cared turned their backs. Where they just too busy, or just too ashamed? I'm sure I'll never know and I'm sure I'll never really forget. (But I do feel the need to amend this statement by adding that in both the sexual harrassment situation and the DUI, one person stepped up to defend me and to be there at two of my darkest moments. And I'll never forget that either.)

While it might seem like a few very defining points in my life, compared to pretty much everyone else in my life, I feel average. I feel petty. And a little ashamed for ever feeling like I was dealt a less than stellar hand. And while knowing that I've really had it pretty easy should make me feel better and more fortunate, somehow I feel more like a poser than ever before. Is being average boring or something to be proud of?

1 comment:

  1. It's better to just be you. Life experiences can't really be measured in terms of average or boring. In the end they are what they are: experiences. You are who you are because of yours. Be thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete